Is it easy to self-publish a book and do it all yourself? You can do it solo, but I don’t recommend it.
A decade ago, if you wanted to write, illustrate, publish, and market a book, you had to hope for the best. Publishers made all the rules and self-publishers were rarely taken seriously. Technology turned that paradigm upside down. Today, you can self-publish, but it’s not easy to do on your own.
I can assist you all along the way — from manuscript writing to marketing. I’ll guide you through each step, help you avoid the most common mistakes (I’ve made my share) and find a practical solution to every challenge.
Ideal Candidates For The Mentor Program
Some people I work with are authors only, some are illustrators only, and some are both. Here are several examples:
- Authors and illustrators who no longer work with a publisher and are on their own.
- First-time authors who have a story idea but don’t know how to get started writing.
- Authors who want to do their own illustrating.
- Illustrators who want to learn digital art techniques.
- Authors and illustrators who can’t afford to hire multiple professionals to get published and must take responsibility for many functions at once.
- Self-promoters on a tight budget who are passionate about letting the world know about their book.
If you’re not sure whether you’re an ideal candidate or if this program is right for you, please email me at Joann@StoryQuestBooks.com to set up an appointment to chat by phone.
Here’s What You Can Expect
If after a Skype or phone consultation, we both agree that you’re a good fit, we’ll begin with a one-hour online meeting to evaluate where you are and start building a plan to accomplish your goals. You can then expect:
- Unlimited email access to me, with answers that you can expect within 24 hours. No one abuses this valuable benefit. I know you won’t either.
- Scheduled phone consultations twice a month, one-on-one — your chance to ask me anything. If you don’t know where to start, we’ll figure it out together.
- Assignments based on your priorities. If you’re not quite sure what to do first, I’ll instruct you.
- Your own coach — that’s me. I will review whatever you have written or illustrated — story drafts, articles and images for blog posts, professional bios — and help you improve it.
- My mobile phone number for emergency coaching sessions if you need them; for example, when you run into a huge deadline issue with your book designer or printer and want to know how to handle it. Or when your creativity gets stuck and you need help now. Just call me.
Why Work With Me?
For more than two decades I was a faculty member, professional educator, writer and ghostwriter at two leading universities and for the United States Agency for International Development. Before turning to picture books, I honed my writing skills with guidance from some of the best authors in the country. Then I learned advanced Photoshop techniques for digital illustration and taught thousands of artists and photographers around the world.
I invest heavily in my own training and am always in a coaching program or taking courses for children’s book authors and illustrators. I’m an enthusiastic teacher — eager to pass along what I’ve learned.
Your Time And Investment
I work with only a few clients at at time to insure that each person gets my maximum attention. Before getting started, I offer a free 30-minute consultation to see if the program is a good fit for your needs.
If the timing isn’t right or you don’t think you will have the energy necessary to devote to this program, please don’t sign up because once you start it’s non-refundable.
If you’re ready to commit, let’s get started. I’ll be here for you, every step of the way!