This conference was really worth attending! Here’s a real-time summary from conference participants.
These days, success in the publishing game is all about self-promotion. FPA’s Spring Fling Do It Yourself (DIY) conference focused on ways to market and promote yourself and your book(s) inexpensively in order to make money! You do not have to be a self-published author to benefit from our DIY approach. Whether you’re at the manuscript stage, have a publisher, or have independently published your book(s), the hands-on workshops offered practical tips for everyone. Expert speakers led participants through the do it yourself processes step by step. Please visit the Florida Publishers Association website for complete schedule and details.
About the Speakers and Topics
• Jo Ann Kairys, an award-winning author and publisher, presented one of the newest developments in promotion: Virtual Book Tours
• Rik Feeney, publisher, writer and author, discussed putting your manuscript on Kindle and how to create your own audio book or audio file for promotion.
• Mark Wayne Adams, award-winning illustrator and FPA board member, demonstrated how to get into schools for fun and profit with children’s books, juvenile titles and adult books.
• Lloyd Rich, intellectual property attorney specializing in publishing, explained various legal matters relating to books, including online publishing matters, subsidiary rights and foreign translation licensing.
During the Virtual Book Tours presentation, attendees blogged these comments about the workshop:
1. Ellen Valladares: I am here learning from JoAnn Kairys about how to blog to effectively market my book.
There will be several great speakers so we will learn how to sell more books to schools, how to market and create ebooks, and so much more. We are getting inspired and motivated to get ourselves and our books out there by offering the valuable information we have to help
others. Author, Jonathan’s Journey to Mount Miapu. http://www.childrenofthelight.net
2. Dr. Janet Smith Warfield: I came to meet interesting people, collaborate and exchange needs and resources. It’s all about the people you meet at a conference like this. They’re awesome! They win and I win! Some of the authors and publishers you meet have years of experience in the publishing industry. Get to know them and learn! Here’s one of the things I’m really excited about now:
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url
3. Ginger Marks: This conference and your presentation on Virtual Blog Tours was enlightening. Thank you. Ginger Marks, owner of DocUmeant Publishing http://www.DocUmeantPublishing.com. Author of Presentational Skills for the Next Generation and then annual Weird & Wacky Holiday Marketing Guide at: http:/www.HolidayMarketingGuide.com
4. Kyle Miller: The presentation by Jo Ann Kairys on Virtual Blog Tours has given the 2012 FPA Spring Conference attendees everything they wanted to know about Book Blog Tours, including a hands-on opportunity to create a blog on-line. This invaluable learning experience is one more step to easily and effectively learn the ins and outs of blogging for book marketing and high visibility on-line. Kyle Miller, Vice President, FPA: www.junglehousepublications.com
THANKS TO SPEAKERS AND PARTICIPANTS WHO MADE THE CONFERENCE A GREAT SUCCESS!