Publishing a book is a remarkable journey — filled with surprises, doubts, challenges and excitement. Writing stories may be a passion, but publishing is a business. The more you understand what’s involved — current industry trends, how to manage a publishing timeline, national distribution, printing options, marketing opportunities — the more likely your success. You can do it all yourself. But I don’t recommend it.
This short video highlights key steps in a publishing journey.
PLAN: Get going with a realistic book production timeline.
Upfront planning saves time, money, and unnecessary hassles. Even though it may feel too early, it’s important to set budget parameters, decide book format(s) (eBook, offset print, Print on Demand, etc.), and begin to think about a social media promotion strategy.
CREATE: Learn the difference between design and illustration.
Illustration depicts a story while graphic design places and scales visual elements for attention and impact. You may want a graphic designer who illustrates, an illustrator who does graphic design, or a professional book designer who does both.
PUBLISH: Select the best print option to make your book soar.
With so many self-publishing opportunities, what’s the best way to print a high quality book that stands apart? Will you need Advance Review Copies (ARCs) for reviewers? How will your book be distributed and fulfilled for bookstore sales?
MARKET: Set up and schedule a successful book launch.
Well-planned launches build excitement, and even pre-sales. You may need to create or update your website to introduce your book to the world. Virtual Book Tours, book signings, Amazon bestseller campaigns, book contests, blogger reviews, etc. also help create interest.
Help from an expert when I had burning questions or needed ongoing support would have saved my time and sanity (and my family’s). So, if you’re like me and need some assistance along the way, don’t hesitate to ask. I’d LOVE to help!
1. Get Short-Term Support Via Phone Or Skype
If you need immediate help and support, consider a phone or Skype consultation. It’s a practical way to get advice and resolve your problem quickly without a long-term financial commitment. I can help you with a writing problem, brainstorm story ideas, critique your writing or illustrations, or assist with printing and publishing challenges.[fac_button icon=”thumbs-up” title=”Consulting Program for Authors and Illustrators” text=”CLICK FOR DETAILS” link=”https://storyquestbooks.com/consulting/” target=”_self” color=”#ffffff” background=”#51b5e0″ background_hover=”#aadd6d”]
Contact Me: Email Joann@StoryQuestBooks.com or call 732-786-4442 and leave a message, along with your email address. I’m here to help you.
2. Join My Mentor Program
If you need longer-term guidance, consider my Mentor Program for 3 – 6months or 1 year. Why work with me? In 2010 I started my company, Story Quest Books, as the way to self-publish. Never did I dream that both books so far — Sunbelievable and I Want Cake! — would earn national awards and top reviews for storytelling and illustration. While I’m ecstatic about the public recognition, I confess I made many newbie blunders. That’s why I enjoy helping others self-publish with fewer hassles.
Here Are A Few Examples
- Create a clear roadmap forward, including key decision points at each phase of your book project.
- Create your own digital illustrations even if you’re not an artist. Many authors get stuck because they have no experience illustrating. I can help you illustrate your own book or find an illustrator.
- Share ways to complete your book on a tight budget. I’ll tell you all my cost-saving ideas to help you prioritize and minimize your spending.
- Define, find and target your market to make the most of book promotion opportunities.
- Create a marketing campaign that uses mainstream and social media effectively and builds loyal fans.
- Use marketing tactics inside your book to keep readers involved and in touch.
- Set up a national distribution and fulfillment process, including Amazon and libraries, for streamlined and efficient book sales.
- Identify national and regional book award contests that build credibility and expose your book to more readers and buyers.
This is a short list. There are many more examples, but I’m not an expert at everything. If you need a marketing professional or a PR person one who can write press releases or pitch your story to the media, I can lead you in the right direction. Through Story Quest Books, I developed a solid network of children’s book pros and I will refer you to someone whose work I trust and stand behind.[fac_button icon=”thumbs-up” title=”Mentor Program for Authors and Illustrators” text=”CLICK FOR DETAILS” link=”https://storyquestbooks.com/mentor-program/” target=”_self” color=”#ffffff” background=”#51b5e0″ background_hover=”#aadd6d”]
Contact Me: Email Joann@StoryQuestBooks.com or call 732-786-4442 and leave a message, along with your email address. I’m happy to help you.